Ready to give it up

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Golfer's Forum : Diamond Tour Golf Forum Index -> Golf Tips
dts52

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 4:47 am    Post subject: Ready to give it up Reply with quote

I cannot, cannot, cannot get any shots with driver, 3 wood or 5 wood any higher than 6 feet off the ground and they are almost always worm burners. I still get mediocre distance because I'm hitting the heck out of the ball with tons of top spin. The ball "flight" (and I use that term sarcastically) is a medium hook. I don't have this problem with 5 irons or lower, it seems to be restricted to my woods.

After watching training videos all winter, I have been trying to make my swing plane more vertical as I had a pronounced inside out club path and hit a lot of shots "over the top" (at least that is what people told me).

Any ideas other than "take two weeks off and then quit" before I really do quit? Question

Thanks.
DTG Jeff
DTG Customer Service

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 8:22 am    Post subject: Ready To Give Up Reply with quote

dts52,

Sorry to hear about your recent struggles with your golf swing, let me try to give you some insight and see if we can get you going in the right direction. By what you have explained it sounds like the problem is the golf club is coming in to steep and the face of the club is shut at impact.

First let me explain the the error in your swing that is causing the issues with the longer clubs is also happening with the shorter clubs. However in the shorter club the length is shorter and the loft is greater so the error is minimized. The longer the club and the less loft it has the pronounced the error becomes.

If you are hitting your longer clubs low and with a little draw/hook there are a couple reason this is happening. First the golf club has to be closed at impact for a result like that. I would want to check your grip first and make sure that is fundamentally correct because if I had to guess I would say it is to strong. Here is a link to a video that should help (Part 1).

http://www.diamondtour.com/golf-video.html

Also when this result happens the common error is the hands being to far in front of the club head causing a descending strike on the golf ball. Set the club on the ground in the address position and let the club sole out on the ground an sit naturally. Then grip the club in this position making sure the butt end of the grip is point towards your left belt loop or left hip socket.

Now this should of put you in a fundamentally correct setup position in order make a good swing at the ball. The only swing thought I would recommend is to sweep the golf club back delaying the cocking of your wrist. This will keep the club from coming up to quickly resulting in a steep golf swing and a descending blow which is good for the irons but not for the woods.

Try these tip and let me know how it works for you, I also encourage you to check out our instructional videos on our website to make sure the rest of your set up is fundamentally correct. The link I posted above has several helpful videos on the fundamentals of the golf swing.

Jeff Bushnell
Diamond Tour Golf
Sales Manager
800-826-5340 x. 201

Follow Us On Facebook!
dts52

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Jeff - I will certainly try your advice. I have to tell you that I have gotten so much conflicting information from various people I have played with (most of them very high handicappers like myself) that it's frustrating. "Hit down on the ball" and "Keep your hands in front of the clubhead" are a couple of the more common ones.

I will give your suggestions a try.

Thanks,

DTS
dts52

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2011 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DTG Jeff - By overly strong grip, I assume you mean that my left hand on the grip, forming a "V" between thumb and index finger should not be 10 to 15 degrees outside my right shoulder? Embarassed Sorry for having to clarify basic terminology. I haven't gotten out to the range yet, but I was hitting plastic balls in the yard and for the first time noticed that my left wrist is basically cupped and cocked at address. Changing the grip didn't bring on a miracle, but I didn't give it much of a chance yet.

Thanks for your help. About a month ago, I went to a pro at a major sporting goods chain. He watched me hit a bunch of different 6-irons. He just shook his head and said that lessons wouldn't help my swing (or lack of a swing). I'm glad I found DTG. I saved some $ on my clubs.

DTS
stevenhw8

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2011 2:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dts52 wrote:
DTG Jeff - By overly strong grip, I assume you mean that my left hand on the grip, forming a "V" between thumb and index finger should not be 10 to 15 degrees outside my right shoulder?

That's correct... the more knuckles you can see on your left hand = the stronger your grip. Less knuckles = weaker grip.

So neutral grip should be when you can see 2 knuckles on your left hand from your address position.

Just make sure your club face doesn't turn with your grip... it should always be facing the target.
DTG GH EvilEye II 18* Hybrid
DTG Turner T9 4-SW
DTG Inazone Shadow CNC Spin 60*
DTG Inazone Niveus
Bridgestone e6+ or e7+
dts52

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DTG Jeff - Thanks for the advice. I went to the range today and quickly realized that you were correct. My grip had gradually migrated to a very strong position. I neutralized my left hand and got the ball airborne almost all the time. I was a little disappointed in the loss of distance and the development of a slight fade, but all in all it was a vast improvement.

Thanks for your time.

DTS
DTG Jeff
DTG Customer Service

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad that it helped, you should notice the fade disappear as you become more used to releasing the club through impact instead of the extra strong grip doing it for you. Please let me know if there is anything else I can help you with.

Jeff Bushnell
Diamond Tour Golf
Sales Manager
800-826-5340 x. 201

Follow Us On Facebook!
mlf16507

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.diamondtour.com/golf-clubs/drivers/dtg-thriver.ht

Have DTG make this club for you and you will be a happy camper!
5-pw-DTG Pro Combo
Inazone low bounce-52*,56*&60*
4w,4H,5h,5-LW all have Ceramic Kevlar A tipped 1/2"
Inazone Vedova putter-41"
dts52

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing Thanks for the tip, mlf16507. I will look into it.
xgstour

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't think of a way to help you. You seem to be trying everything. I think you should play more open golf and regularly hit practice balls so you can get hang of the problem and find a way around it!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Golfer's Forum : Diamond Tour Golf Forum Index -> Golf Tips All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: