epoxy breaking down?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Golfer's Forum : Diamond Tour Golf Forum Index -> Golf Clubmaking & Golf Club Repair
longgonedaddy

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2011 6:53 pm    Post subject: epoxy breaking down? Reply with quote

I assembled a set of clubs last summer, used them for many rounds. In the past two weeks, I've had the epoxy bond break, and the heads are twisting around the shaft on two clubs.

I would understand if it happened a round or two after building, but these clubs have many rounds on them.

Any thoughts on this?
thespoon

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 8:07 am    Post subject: Epoxy breakdown Reply with quote

Is there any chance you are storing your clubs in a hot area like your car's trunk? Heat will break epoxy's bond.
longgonedaddy

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes, but I didn't think the epoxy would break down just in a car's trunk. I live in pennsylvania, not arizona. Laughing

I did think that it might, but knowing how hot I have to heat the clubs to get the epoxy to break, I didn't think the trunk would be hot enough.
thespoon

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 11:43 am    Post subject: Epoxy Reply with quote

Three other possibilities:

1. Epoxy was over one year old when used for assembly. It does expire, especially when stored above 65*F, or the temp fluctuates a lot like in a garage/unheated shed.

2. Too many glass beads used (if any).

3. Failure to dimple the shaft (if steel) or remove all of the paint (if graphite).

Other than those, the only other thing I could think of is failure to clean the inside of the hosel with alcohol or acetone and abrade prior to assembly.

Cheers.
longgonedaddy

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 5:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Epoxy Reply with quote

thespoon wrote:

1. Epoxy was over one year old when used for assembly. It does expire, especially when stored above 65*F, or the temp fluctuates a lot like in a garage/unheated shed.

I purchased the epoxy less than a month before both of these were built, so unless DTG sold me old stuff, I think I had fresh epoxy.

thespoon wrote:

2. Too many glass beads used (if any).

none used

thespoon wrote:

3. Failure to dimple the shaft (if steel) or remove all of the paint (if graphite).

fairly sure I got all the paint off.

thespoon wrote:

Other than those, the only other thing I could think of is failure to clean the inside of the hosel with alcohol or acetone and abrade prior to assembly.

ah-hah! I don't recall ever seeing anything about the need to clean the hosel. I did abrade it though.

Thank you for your help.
thespoon

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 11:00 am    Post subject: Epoxy Reply with quote

Hosels are machined, whether they are cast or forged. Machining = oil.

Oil = bad adhesion.

Run a q-tip soaked in alcohol around the inside of the hosel of a brand-new head and it will come out black 90% of the time. I do it twice, or until the q-tip says white.

RE: glass beads. You SHOULD be using them for graphite shafts. Sparingly. They fill tiny voids, help to center the shaft in the hosel, and provide an extra layer of protection against shearing the shaft in the cone/ferrule bond.

Clean, then abrade.

You are welcome. Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Golfer's Forum : Diamond Tour Golf Forum Index -> Golf Clubmaking & Golf Club Repair All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: