help me figure out why

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Golfer's Forum : Diamond Tour Golf Forum Index -> Golf Tips
Donnie

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 3:15 pm    Post subject: help me figure out why Reply with quote

Driver---slice,fade
3 Wood---slice,fade
4-5 Hybird---straight,slight fade
6-7-8 Irons--- draw, big hook to the left
9 Iron--- slight draw
Pitching wedge--- straight

52---straight
56---straight

i just got back to golfing after a 10 year lay off.....i am using a cheap set of top-flight clubs. I can't figure out why i hook my irons to the left (6-7-8 irons) and the rest of my clubs i hit fairly straight or very slight fade..is it the clubs? or me? I'm 6'1" tall, floor to wrist is 34.5" I hit my driver 275+ yards , and i hit my 7 iron 150-160 yards. would love to hear any input why...thanks
longgonedaddy

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 6:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm an inch taller than you, hit about the same distances. I used to be just as inconsistent in my hits as you. I had been playing for 20 years with undersized clubs, and just a few weeks ago, I was properly fitted and built longer than normal clubs. It has made a significant difference in my game, first day out, I dropped 18 or so strokes from two weeks before.

just my thought. Otherwise, I have no idea. Wink
DTG Jeff
DTG Customer Service

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 8:19 am    Post subject: Help me figure out why Reply with quote

Donnie,
It very common for many golfer to slice or fade there longer clubs and then be pretty straight with the irons and the shorter clubs. The same swing flaw almost always is present no matter if your hitting a wedge or a driver. However the lower the loft and the longer the club the more side spin in put on the golf ball and the more the negative result is noticeable. Obviously the driver is the lowest loft and longest and is going to show the most slice/fade. As you start getting to you mid iron there is so much more loft that the backspin takes over instead of side spin and the ball doesn't slice or fade hardly at all.
The only real question is why with the 6,7 and 8 is the ball hooking? My educated guess would be that they may need a lie adjustment of there might be a shaft issue.

Jeff Bushnell
Diamond Tour Golf
Sales Manager
800-826-5340 x. 201

Follow Us On Facebook!
Donnie

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks jeff......I am considering buying the Grand Hawk X HY 3-pw with midsize golf pride grips, with a stiff DT launch lite steel shats a 1/2 inch longer...dose that sound like a good fit....thanks for the input
timpuparts

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 9:16 am    Post subject: Help me figure out why Reply with quote

Donnie,

You really need to see a club-fitter to get fit right the first time. Problem is if you just got started back again your swing will "evolve" and the fitting may not last. A few questions but you have answered most of them.

Do you have a "quick" tempo? (Tempo is everything in golf and try to stay as smooth as possible)

What size glove do you wear?

I would suggest 1/2" over standard length but you could possibly need a lie adjustment as well. If you wear an XL glove or bigger then you may need "jumbo" grips or mid-size with extra layers of tape.

Diamond Tour can help you with all this but you need to know where to start.

I would suggest steel stiff shaft from what you say your distances are and I will wait for more answers for any more suggestions. Give us as much about your swing and any inconsistencies as possible.

I would say you are coming over the top a little on all the clubs except for shorter ones. This will make for slice in longer clubs and a possible pull hook in the mid irons.

Tim
Donnie

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know my swing will evlove I use to hit everything pretty straight years ago..and i know i am swing alittle over the top now....my tempo is alittle quick now...i am working on that. and my glove size is a large...how do i know if i need a lie adjustment or not..i feel my club need to be a little more level with the ground instead of the toe of the club being elevated..i could be wrong though....im not a pro.....thanks for the input
stevenhw8

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 4:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

did you try DTG's fitting system?

http://www.diamondtour.com/fitting/iron_fit.php

if you feel the club is not on the same level as the ground, then you need lie adjustment!
Donnie

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 5:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i did do the diamond tour iron fitting and came up with with 1/2 inch long club, midsize grips and stiff shaft...said the lie adjustmest should be standard
timpuparts

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 6:59 am    Post subject: Help me figure out why Reply with quote

Donnie,

If you have a standard set and the toe of the club is pointed up then I would have to say you are "bent over" too much at the waist. To make sure your posture is correct, you should start by standing tall, gently relax your knees or bent slightly, weight on middle of feet (athletic position), stick your butt out slightly where you are bent now at the waist. With a club you should be able to drop your hands where they are just below your shoulders. This should have the club where it is flat along the ground. If you need 1/2 inch longer clubs and the current club's lie has not been altered, then the toe of the club should be slightly turned down.

I hope this helps.

Tim
aiko73

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 6:15 pm    Post subject: hi Reply with quote

hmm can't seem to guess the problem that we have here but i am glad that there are various members who are willing to help.. thanks folks!~!

Wink
wsgolfm

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for sharing the good information.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Golfer's Forum : Diamond Tour Golf Forum Index -> Golf Tips All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: