Multiple clubs - quick review

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Golfer's Forum : Diamond Tour Golf Forum Index -> Golf Club Reviews & Testimonials
GotheProbe

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 5:59 am    Post subject: Multiple clubs - quick review Reply with quote

Handicap = 10

Recently purchased the Tour + Tubby, The Turner MT Fairway and the Integra I-Drive III Square. I've only had a couple of rounds with them but my early assessment is this. For starters the quality is fantastic on all.

Tubby - beautiful solid feel, easy to hit and distance supurb. This really is far superior to a standard 3 iron.

Turner fairway - smallish club (which I don't mind in a 3 wood) and very solid feel. I'm cracking drives & fairway shots a mile & very easily with this club. I've got more right to left than my previous fairway wood but it's consistent. So far so good & very happy.

I-Drive III - mmm I'm on the fence with this one & perhaps this gets back to my initial proposition; of additional information up front would be more advantageous & help buyers make more suitable club choices. Up front I'm not entirely sure (other than it being physically squarish in shape) that you can compare this club to the Callaway FT-i driver. The Callaway is far more block shaped overall (not like a tear drop or aeroplane wing that thins out towards the back), the face appears higher and the bottom has 2 ridge type humps. So I believe the I-Drive III is quite different to that of what it's being compared. I've gone from a 10 degree driver of which I hit a relatively high trajectory to this 9.5 degree & I struggle to get any reasonable height - and I can't work out why. I draw the ball consistently with it (sometimes a tad hooky) & get good length; but additional roll accounts for a fair bit of that. Can half a degree make that much difference to hit height? Perhaps this club just doesn't suit my swing & I'll keep persisting, but I just thus far cannot get this thing to gain any reasonable height.

All clubs ordered with graphite shafts.

Anyway perhaps this info will assist others and I thank Diamond Tour again for producing high quality clubs and quick delivery to Australia
Cheers.
GotheProbe

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 8:40 pm    Post subject: Further confusion on drivers Reply with quote

I had another look through the new square drivers on offer and it struck me as interesting that the:
Tour + Tubby Extreme MOI
Integra SV-IV Square
Integra I-Drive III Square

are all of the identical shape. WTF????
If you look at the closer pictures of all 3 drivers they've all got the same tear-drop/wing like shape. The only differences being the identification markers on the sole/bottom of the club. How can that be if each driver is supposed to be cloning completely different drivers? If you held the branded/comparison drivers up against eachother are they going to share so many common similarities? I bet not.

I'm not a disgruntled customer (it's a principle matter) but are not so sure the direct comparisons being made really reflect the reality. Appears more economies of scale at work here. Mad
Pat8

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

About your new I-Drive III driver's lower trajectory. The .5 degree difference shouldn't make the trajectory that much lower (maybe slightly but not the large difference you said; I'm not a clubfitter, etc. but it seems that that small of a difference wouldn't cause a very big change). What shaft is in your new driver? In comparison to your old driver, does the new shaft have a lower or higher bend point? If the bend point is higher, then that shaft would produce a lower trajectory than your old driver, which might be the cause of your problem. I'm not an expert on this or anything, just an idea.
GotheProbe

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 6:04 am    Post subject: thanks for your reply Reply with quote

Sweet suggestion thanks...I'll take any advice. I chose a FGS Tour launch 60 graphite shaft to go with my I-Drive III compared to the standard True Temper graphite shaft that came with my Dunlop Loco. Running with your theory do you think a slower or faster swing would improve matters? (considering where the shaft's flexing).

Something else entered the mix today - while reading a golf article (in the docs waiting room - Jan '08 issue of Aust Golf Digest) apparently it's current practise for drivers to have a launch angle stamped (e.g. 10 degree, 9.5 degree etc) in the sole but in reality this doesn't really represent the actual angle. Take it as a bit of a marketing thing. Hence possibly either my old driver was indeed higher than the indicated 10 degrees and my I-Drive III at 9.5 is too much for me to handle or the III is also at a different angle?? Ahh getting too complex I know.

I think you're on the right track though as I'm also hooking the ball more - which would suggest my typical swing is producing a different shaft flex from normal and therefore different result. That's why I asked about the slower or faster swing possibly helping.

Cheers.
Pat8

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Regarding your swing speed, I think a little slower, smoother swing would help the shaft kick at the right time in your swing and help raise your height a little, but if you have a good swing that produces good results with your other clubs already, then it probably would be better to get a new shaft then mess with your swing a bunch.
About the stamped loft different from the real loft, I also read an article in Golf Digest that said most drivers loft were actually higher than the stamped loft (1.5 degrees higher I think), but if that holds true for both clubs, then they lofts would really be only .5 degrees different, so I really don't know on that. maybe the difference on the two clubs from marked to actual loft is not the same, but that would be hard to find out.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Golfer's Forum : Diamond Tour Golf Forum Index -> Golf Club Reviews & Testimonials All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: