Driver Heads

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Golfer's Forum : Diamond Tour Golf Forum Index -> Golf Component Advice
Full Monty

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 11:48 pm    Post subject: Driver Heads Reply with quote

Are today's driver heads (such as a Turner MT) adding more distance over heads such as a TR 460 Comp Vaulter? Or is it all in the shaft?

My 10.5 Degree 460 Comp (Cleveland
GotheProbe

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 6:23 pm    Post subject: take it or leave it Reply with quote

Hi - I was just reading your post & a few suggestions come to mind. Different options could be:
1) See if your local driving range or club has some demo clubs & just try a few. You might find compared to your current driver others feel better/worse, hit longer/shorter, more consistently, etc.
2) With the above suggestion see if you can try different shafts & notice the difference they make. You have a very fast swing so I'd be looking at a stiff or extra stiff shaft.
3) Check out some demo days & your sure to get a hit with different clubs.
4) Do like I do - buy something new (clone so it doesn't cost the earth) & if it doesn't work; well you haven't lost out too badly.

Personally I think if people don't typically hit very far then they have the most to gain. If you're a reasonable hitter anyway (which sounds like you are) then I wouldn't expect a new driver to be crunching shots a lot further. You're always going to get 1 or 2 hits out of the screws & think "wow this thing's great", etc etc but all up it's more of a consistentcy thing & if you've got a driver that's producing a nice feel & is accurate, then you're doing ok.

Anyway good luck.
Pat8

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It sounds like you already hit your driver pretty well/solid, so i would suggest not messing with what isn't broken and just getting a new shaft in your current head. If you have confidence in your driver already, you're already doing pretty well, a new shaft (with a lower flex point, to increase launch angle) can only help. You hit the ball 260yards, so you are already doing a lot better than a whole lot of people who play golf; I just read somewhere that the average male golfer's drive is 200 yards, that seems a little low (stat might be old), but still, you're ahead.
GotheProbe

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 6:47 pm    Post subject: Average drive Reply with quote

In my experience I would think that 260 yard average would still be pretty accurate...taking into account I assume the stat would include many varying people of different ages & abilities. 260 yards (238 metres) is not insignificant when you consider as roughies 200 yards for a 3 iron and then say 230-240 for a 3 wood. Makes sence to get around 260 for the driver. Sure you would have the odd 300 yard crush but probably (for most) not on average.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Golfer's Forum : Diamond Tour Golf Forum Index -> Golf Component Advice All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: